Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Life Changes...

Four weeks ago, I was fairly happy with my humdrum life, the one where Richard and I were working towards our ultimate goal to build our own home on 3.8 acres in the Missouri wilderness. We went to work every day to jobs we were comfortable with, if not wildly excited about...we knew we could retire in about 5 years and maybe then, start building that dream home we've always talked about and do some traveling through Europe in between.

Four weeks ago Richard applied for another job. And got it.

This afternoon I put him on a plane to Saudi Arabia.

Last week we sold the house.

Saturday I pick my parents up from the train station.

Next week we pack out.

On March 22, I sign the closing papers and will move to Missouri to help Pa start building our storage shed and garage/apartment.

And in 15 months, Richard will come home and we will officially retire and begin building that dream house. By taking the job, we knocked 3 1/2 years off our future retirement date.

We are planning to meet in Europe at least 3-4 times in the coming year and visit Germany, Switzerland, Austria, Spain and wherever else we fancy.

Sometimes, that goal is a LOT closer than we imagined.

I like that. Life changes and there are bumps and detours, but the end goal is always in sight.

No comments: