Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Cold nights...Gothic Nativity

My sister lives in Oklahoma and works as a breakfast hostess at an Inn. With the ice storms cutting power all over Oklahoma people streamed into the inns and hotels all over the state. Margaret told me her boss felt so bad because he had to turn people away because there was no room at the Inn.

Pa was worried that the power would go out so he told us to crank up our heater so when it did it would take the house longer to cool off. Thank God we did. The first day stayed fairly warm - sweaters and thick socks kept us warm. The second day the temperature dropped to 57 degrees inside.



Flint isn't as well insulated as Echo so I tossed a blanket over him to keep him warm.



I received this Nativity last Christmas. It is a music box and plays "O, Holy Night." I believe it is based on an old masters painting because the gothic arches and the roman scrolls remind me of that look.

"I," said the sheep with curly horn.
"I gave him my wool for a blanket warm.
He wore my coat on Christmas morn,
I," said the sheep, with curly horn.

From the Christmas carol "The Friendly Beasts."

"And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn." Luke 2:7

No comments: