Monday, December 31, 2007

Start of my garden...

My sister wanted to know what I wanted for Christmas. I thought about it for a while and couldn't think of anything. So we kept talking and I mentioned I wanted to get some apple trees for my spring planting. She said that she would buy them for me for Christmas, and I thought that was a great idea. I figured it'd be a late Christmas present and it would arrive in the spring.

One day in late November, I got this long skinny tube in the mail. Inside were two sticks wrapped in newspaper and plastic with a label assuring me they were Macintosh apple trees.

I had no idea what to do with them. The ground was frozen and my pots were all packed in the garage.

Mom came over and showed me that I could water them through the plastic and wet the newspaper to keep them moist.

Ummm...they've started sprouting.



I hope that they don't suffer for not being dormant. I plan to get one of the big pots out of the garage and plant them in a few days when I get some potting soil. I'll put them in the ground in spring.

No comments: