Saturday, August 27, 2005

February 17, 2005

So there I am...
We were talking yesterday and Boss was telling our co-workers that I lived fairly close to the office. I do. 4.5 miles, in fact. But we were discussing how much time it takes for me to get to work. I said it took 15 minutes. They were all like, "no way!" I had to explain about the 3 stop signs, 6 stoplights, 3 school zones and a U-turn to get to work. Yes, way. Irrelevant stuff aside, I've been editing up a storm. My crit group is powering up again. We all critted like mad a few months ago, retired to our respective corners to lick our wounds and do re-writes and now we're coming back for more. The good news is, since the critting took off, several of us have published in magazines and a couple have even received book contracts! So we're doing good. We're proud of each other and its time to sell more writing. I tanked up my little red pen, cleaned my mouse and am ready to start the process again. I posted my own work and have some good vibes and honest work in front of me, too. I need to do a hard copy crit for one author and will be doing an online crit for another. Just depends on deadlines, what's due and who needs what. Off to finish making dog food and then onward to editing.

All in a day's work...
I mailed the Manatee's gift today. I also deposited my meager paycheck and then paid bills with it. Sprint sent me a bill for $1.40. I got a double bill from them last month and I couldn't find the register which had the former bill in it so I went ahead and paid the whole thing. Well, I HAD written a previous check to them...it was $1.40 short. So they wasted paper, stamp and someone's time to send me a bill for $1.40. This made sense to someone. I think that will be my new quote. Sigh. Echo has figured out that if she sticks her head out the car window, she can scent things better. This is NOT good when Mommy suddenly accelerates because the guy behind me honked when I nearly missed the green light. She now keeps her nose in except when the car is stopped. Smart dog. Richard was home when I got home and we took off to the base to pick up his prescriptions. I had no idea the pharmacy on base was open late for refills! I told him that was good to know. This week new things are happening on my critique group. We're all working on new stuff and a round of crits are needed. Several folk have deadlines, so I shall be busier this week in the evenings trying to get stuff critted. I did a mini-brainstorm session with one author, I'd read some of her stuff last night and already had a few things to say. She needs a fast turnaround, so I told her I'd print it out and mark it up on paper, so she'd have a hard copy for fast corrections (if she chooses to make them, of course ). In turn, my partial manuscript is sitting in my folder being critted. Thanks to them, some changes have been made and stuff clarified. I can't help but love my CPs - they really do catch everything. Anyway, busy day today and tomorrow will be, too, I presume. I'm off to bed.