Wednesday, August 24, 2005

September 6, 2004

@ 2004-09-06 09:10:00

Monday lazies...
I've seriously neglected my blog (and my writing). Life hasn't been especially hectic so much as finding other things to do for fun. I've started on Christmas stuff and have finished something, even! We went shooting yesterday with Mike and Soumya, both have never fired a gun before and both did extremely well! They got a little competitive with each other which always adds a little excitement. I didn't shoot much because we wanted them to be comfortable with the different handguns so Richard was coaching them. I did fire my own gun eventually just to show them how fun a revolver can be. We came back to a vegetarian lunch Richard and I had prepared (Soumya is vegan). Richard made penne pasta and cream-cheese tortilla roll-ups, I made a seven-layer salad and spinach dip. I also baked honey-wheat rolls using a copycat recipe for the Outback Restaurant's little wheat rolls - they came out PERFECT!Richard and I did more stock up - the hurricanes in Florida are an ominous start to hurricane season. We filled the empty bucket with oatmeal and topped off my dry egg noodles bucket. I bought a bag of rice, too. I also now have a 10 month supply of my vitamins. I'm already dipping into the flour bucket I'd not realized I baked so much which means I need to re-think the flour supply. I figured 100 pounds was pretty generous...and I'm already into it! We only bought it a month ago! My goal is to have a 6 month supply of staples. I think Richard would prefer a year's supply. Either way, we're working towards a healthy stock up of food, healthcare and clothing/necessities. Linens N' Things had a sale on fleece blankets, any size $10! We bought two king-size for the emergency cupboard. Our plan is to stay in place during any crisis, but have a good supply should water and electricity go out (we were without both for a week in Mississippi, during Hurricane Elena back 1986, I think it was and even longer when we lived on Guam during the 3 month port strike and after the monsoons took out the power plant).Richard also wants to clean Leslie's things out of the closet in his office and use it as a pantry. The stock up is taking up his floor space. Anyway, this evening we have a party to attend at his boss's house, Mike and Soumya will be there, too. I should probably bake something...Flint has taken to controlling Echo's food supply and I have to figure out a way to put a stop to it. She has still not gained all her weight back, although she looks better. But Flint now growls and gets aggressive when she tries to eat before him and he also takes her treats sets them on the floor by himself settles down to sleep and DARES her to try to take them back! He'll sit there for hours not allowing her the treats. I only found this out when we came home from shooting and he had BOTH pigs’ ears I'd given out hours before! Echo was sitting in the living room eying the treats, while Flint sat there guarding them! So, I have to remedy that situation, pronto! I still haven't had time to post the Colorado trip - I need to work on the photos section of it, too. Richard is making an album, which looks pretty neat. I need to go bake something for the party, I suppose...

No comments: