Tuesday, August 23, 2005

April 30, 2004

20040430

So, I started out today giving Echo a bath after her experience yesterday. I have to bathe them in the master bath jacuzzi. I should've known that when I was done I wouldn't just be bathing the dogs. In an interesting aside, I had read somewhere that to keep fleas away one only needed to put a teaspoon of Dawn dishwashing detergent in the bathwater. Echo and Flint both are given shots for fleas, but I thought it couldn't hurt. Wow. Both of them are glossy and their fur simply SHINES! Anyway. After the bath the bathroom had to be cleaned. Fur and the smell of wet dog just doesn't go over real well. This turned into an all day job. While I was at it, I decided to clean the cupboards out and check my first aid supplies, since ostensibly, I should be preparing for hurricanes and other natural disasters and I've been incredibly lax in this area since we moved to Texas. Naturally, all the towels then had to be washed and since I was there in my room cleaning, I might as well do the sheets and bedding, too! And dust. I didn't even get to vacuuming. Sigh. Why do I do this? I start one project, get waylaid by another and pretty soon, end up doing all kinds of things I'd not planned! Ah, well. The dogs are clean. And nothing smells better than the scent of fresh, crisp sheets on the bed. Well, except maybe a spice cake baking . Speaking of which, I tried chai tea for the first time! Man, is that good! However, being the happy little homemaker sort I of course wanted to know how they made it so I could make my own. I found lots of recipes on the Internet and shall be experimenting forthwith! I shall post the best recipe when I am satisfied. So my first aid foray for disaster preparedness ended up with me checking all the prescriptions (DH's), seeing what needs refills and consolidating any extras into one bottle. I also looked through our various band-aids, bandages, and tapes - we have plenty of band-aids in assorted sizes, ace bandages, tapes, eye wash, nasal spray, scissors, tweezers, needles, clippers, ointments (triple antibiotic, alcohol wipes, betadine wipes), safety pins, bottles of alcohol and hydrogen peroxide, petroleum jelly. My shopping list to round out the first aid kit:4 X 4 GauzeTumsLaxativeImodium AD or similarsmall bottles of Tylenol, Advil, Aleve and Aspirin - the reason for SMALL bottles is that the stuff DOES expireA new thermometerlatex or rubber gloves glovesSunscreen (Bullfrog - it stays on even in salt water)Eye dropsSpace blanketHand warmersI will also use my scraps of muslin and make some roll bandages. I also keep fuses for the car in the car first aid kit. I'll haphazardly post more of my disaster preparedness as I go along.

No comments: